Sunday, November 14, 2010

It's been rewarding to document the ups and downs of this experience. I can happily report that I have regained balance.Consistently. Even when the guy who purchased the desk set tried to carry part of it through a doorway  not as wide as the desk, marring the trim that, for a lifetime, was meticulously cared for. Not to mention the fact that after he bounced off the trim the first time, he tried again. I kept my cool. The damage was done but I wasn't going to allow it to manipulate me.

 It's amazing how much time it takes to dissolve an estate. Well, actually 2 estates. My mother lived in this house for 60 years where she raised 4 children. Since I lived here also, all my possessions were here. A few of my older siblings items were here also. Mostly my brothers. I have the belief that dissolving an estate does not include having a dumpster dropped off in the driveway and all items disposed of in that manner. No, I have to go through every item, every box, virtually every paper to honor my heritage. Now, don't get me wrong, things did get thrown away, but only after they had been acknowledged. Things also got sold. I spent more time on ebay and craigslist than anyone can imagine. And just today I made more money in one day that I have ever made in my lifetime. I sold 3 Old World Christmas lights that I had purchased as gifts for mom, Ellen, Lori, and myself in the late 80's and early 90's. $1700 in sales in one day. Also, I have had 4 yard sales in the past 2 years and can honestly state that i have given away enough items to completely furnish a home. I don't believe in filling landfills with things that someone else can use. Thank God for freecycle. And it will be very interesting to utilize these marketplaces in other parts of the country to experience peoples behaviors there.

No comments:

Post a Comment